Killeen     Bell County      Milepost 242+2553

Origin of Station Name


Named by company for Frank P. Killeen, company official.


Agency Opened


May 15, 1882

1886 Personnel


W. B. Mitchell               Stationmaster          $65/month


Tom McNulty                Section Foreman    $55/month

11 Laborers                   Section Crew         $1.25/day


Mr. McNulty was paid $86.50 for supplying room and board to his crew in September 1886, this sum deducted from their pay.


1890 Insured Structures


Depot                        $1235

Section House           $545    (Section No. 27)


1921 Depot(s)


Second depot built 1913, to system standard design, 24’ by 144’, drop siding.  Purchased and restored by city.


1946 Traffic Report


Killeen was the billing station for what was then called Camp Hood, later Fort Hood, and thus saw extremely heavy traffic during World War II.

“Traffic forwarded aggregated 3581 cars in 1944, and 1727 in 1945, including 2094 cars of autos and trucks, 690 guns, 550 military supplies and 206 bottles, and 715 bales of cotton in 1944, and 648 autos and trucks, 557 military supplies, 224 guns, 164 bottles, and 398 bales of cotton in 1945.  Received traffic 3122 cars in 1944 and 3292 cars in 1945, consisting primarily of military supplies and equipment.”


“The Earth” Press Coverage



Employee Magazine Coverage



Junction Other Lines



Agency Closed


September 7, 1982, Railroad Commission authorized discontinuance of agency, docket 003469ZZAD.  The Santa Fe maintained an open agency at Killeen for a little more than 100 years, making it one of the few centennial agencies in the state.

Photographic Images


 Passenger depot. Photographer unknown, date unknown. Collection of H.D. Conner

Passenger depot, 1976. Photographer unknown. Collection of H.D. Conner.

Operating Bulletins



Railroad Commission Complaints