Belton             Bell County

Origin of Station Name


“For Peter H. Bell, a soldier in the Texas army and who was governor of the state from 1849-1853”

Agency Opened


March 1, 1881

1886 Personnel


Depot Staff


E. A. Sterling                 Station Master        $100/mo

H. S. Bridge                  Cotton Clerk          $75/month

V. C. Montgomery        Clerk                      $65/month

S. Ware                         Operator                $60/month

A. D. Bean                    Watchman              $40/month

F. Schiller                      Warehouse             $40/month

A. D. Benn                    Porter                     $10/month


Other Personnel


T. O. Goodale               Engineering Dept.

                                     Water Supply         $30/month


John Casperson             Section Foreman    $55/month

21 Laborers                   Section Crew         $1.25/day


1890 Insured Structures


Depot                          $1600

Section House             $510      (Section  No. 25)

1921 Depot(s)


New downtown depot built 1898, a few blocks due north of courthouse.  Brick front section for passengers, 33’ by 46’8” with corrugated iron freight depot joined, 22’ by 154’.  Non-standard design of a type not seen at any other point on the system.  Featured Richardsonian Romanesque arches.  GC&SF name herald, carved in limestone once embedded above front entrance, preserved on demolition, is held in collection of Temple Railroad Museum.  Only other Texas Santa Fe depot known from this period to have a corrugated iron freight depot attached was at Lampasas, built in 1904, now Chamber of Commerce.  At Belton a Spanish Revival style passenger depot was later built near campus of Mary Hardin Baylor University, depot since demolished, blueprints extant.


1946 Traffic Report


Not featured in 1946 Report

“The Earth” Press Coverage



Employee Magazine Coverage



Junction Other Lines



Agency Closed


March 16, 1976, Railroad Commission authorization to discontinue agency, Docket 3247 RO.

Photographic Images


 New passenger depot, September 16, 1972. Photographer: John McMillan. Collection of Robert Pounds.

Old passenger depot, 1963. Photographer unknown. Collection of H.D. Conner.

Operating Bulletins



Railroad Commission Complaints